The system was installed in the early years of electricity as the Village was being electrified for the “new” electric light. There have been modifications to the system as the Village underwent power line upgrades and modifications in the early years, up to the most recent electrical system update in 1917.
There are pieces of the early street lighting system still in place, and in the near future, there will be a major renovation of the lighting system utilizing the original street light fixtures with new underground wiring. The Village Board is investigating options for this renovation work.
The Public Works Department shares the facility space with the Kenilworth Park District.